What steps should an elder take if he’s uncertain as to whether or not his child’s behavior is disqualifying?
- Pray. Ask God for a humble heart.
- Study and meditate on the relevant passages (1 Tim. 3:4-5; Tit. 1:6).
- Seek instruction from your fellow elders.
- Confess your sin and be transparent with your fellow elders. Don’t hold things back— remember that God already knows your sin and will forgive you because Jesus Christ is the propitiation for your sins (1 John 2:1-2).
- Receive critical evaluation and consider it together with your wife.
- Trust your fellow elders to discern whether or not you should step down. Solicit their counsel and submit to it.
(This material has been adapted from Matt Schmucker’s article, “Unbelief in an Elder’s Children — Practice”)